When I was a child, my parents both worked full-time jobs. So instead of heading home every afternoon when school was finished, we spent our time at one of our mothers friends houses. She would care for us until one of our parents arrived to collect us. While it was some time ago now, I do recall that Monica had one of the kindest, most beautiful hearts I have ever known. She was everything I dreamed a mother was supposed to be like, right down to the cookies and milk after school.
One of my favourite treats she would reward us with, was her chocolate chip cookies. Those cookies were so delicious, I have never found a recipe quite like it since, and believe me when I say, I have tested a lot of them.
Although I’ve never found a recipe that tasted like that one I remember from my childhood, I have baked some pretty yummy chocolate chip cookies over the years. These ones, are the most requested recipe in my home, from my own daughter to extended relatives. When my nieces and nephews visit, they all ask for these chocolate chip cookies. My sister ever asks for a tin of them to take home with her, she loves them that much.
That means, I feel pretty confident putting them out there into the world for you guys to try.
- 1½ cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- line 2 baking sheets with good quality baking paper
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl
- In another larger bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat together the butter, and sugars until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until everything is combined
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix in.
- Add chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Chill the dough for 10 minutes.
- Drop the dough onto the prepared baking trays by using a tablespoon. Remember to give them a little space.
- Bake the cookies for 8 - 13 minutes until they are slightly browned
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer them onto wire racks for cooling.